December Already? – Connecting in Mexico – Community Ed Chats….
Our November – December Challenge is to share how your class is connecting globally. Mrs. Giesbrecht’s class from Decker Lake shared about their experience in connecting with Taylor Swift recently….Taylor Swift (Country Super Star) connecting with Decker Lake Elementary (rural school in Northern BC)….WOW…thanks for sharing this with us Mrs. Giesbrecht!
Please continue to share your global connection experiences as a class, school, extra-curricular group, etc.
Shortly after that post was published, I received pictures from LDSS students who recently spent a week at a Art Gallery in Bucerias, Mexico where they spent 6 hours a day working on their art skills. Mrs. Dezamits has been organizing this trip in conjunction with Mr. Calum Cameron, the Canadian owner of the gallery, for many years…way to go Kim! Look at these pictures….does this look like an experience that will be forgotten anytime soon.
Am I alone or is it hard to believe that we have already been in school for three months already and are just a few short weeks away from the holiday break. Christmas lights have become increasingly more visible during my commute home and I have been noticing the dates for Christmas Concerts and Activity Nights appear on our elementary school schedules.
I’ve scanned the newsletters that I was able to access this week to share some of the activities that make SD 91 schools such great places to be:
- WKE: The Wolves lead the Cougars, Hawks, and Bears in House points…go Wolves! Holiday Activity Night: Dec. 11th
- David Hoy: Recent ‘Cupcake Decorating Contest’…is that why Mr. Houghton had icing on his face? Christmas Concert – Dec. 19th
- Grassy Plains: New school Facebook page / Christmas Concert- Dec. 20th
- Fort Fraser: REcently received $1500 from the RDBN for Breakfast for Learning. Christmas Concert – Dec. 19 @ 6 pm
- LDSS: Breakfast recently served by Constables Gunn and Frederick…thank you!
- Sinkut View: Getting to know our staff…this week: Mrs. Brenda Alessandrini; PJs and Pancakes – Dec. 14; Christmas Concert – Dec. 18th
- FLESS: 47% of secondary students made the honour roll – WOW! Dec. 12- Wacky Wednesday Hat Day…earn points for your team.
- Mouse Mountain: Check out the weekly puzzle at the end of every newsletter! Christmas Concert: Dec. 20 @ 6:30 pm
- WL McLeod: Nov/Dec Performance Standard Focus: I can solve problems in peaceful ways!
- Mapes: Mapes Hall Family Fun Night – Dec. 14th @ 7 pm. Christmas Concert: Dec. 19th
- Sowchea: Parents invited to jot down educational sites on Smartboard during parent-teacher interviews. Christmas activity night: Dec. 20th
- EBUS: Visit http://www.ebus.ca to access their newsletters that recap their visit with families in October and advertise for the upcoming possibility of travelling to Costa Rica over Spring Break.
Shortly after the holiday break, community Ed Chats on a variety of topics will once again be advertised and parents, students, and our staff will be encouraged to attend and dialogue around a variety of topics. Vanderhoof has scheduled their Ed Chat (focussed on Assessment) for Wednesday, January 23 at 7pm at McLeod Elementary. Ed Chats are a meaningful way for our parents to move beyond just being ‘INVOLVED’ with schools to being ‘ENGAGED’ with their child’s learning. Parents are a key member of our schools and are also key in helping their child develop into a curious, self-guided learner.
I recently read a very good article from the Discovery Channel that outlined ten specific ways for parents to “cultivate curiosity” in their child. You can click on any of the bullets below to read more:
- Encourage dabbling across a variety of subjects and activities
- Support Deep Interests
- Be Aware of Disengagement
- Don’t inadvertently Stunt Curiosity
- Embrace Anxiety
- Recognize Everyday Opportunities
- Allow for Flexible Thinking
- Allow Field Trips and Home Based Discovery
- Get Involved in your Child’s Studies
- Let Your Child Take the Reins
I want to leave you with a video of very creative Thomas Suarez, the 12 year old app developer who spoke at a TED conference in Manhatten….very inspiring:
Enjoy the first week of December!